Take Care Eating That Giant Burger If You Have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Nicola had no idea that she would end up in the ER after attempting to eat a triple-decker hamburger.
“Nicola Peate, 25, was taken to A & E at the Royal Liverpool hospital after being injured when attempting to tackle the triple-decker burger on a work night out.
She said that while she was initially able to laugh off the pain, it became “unbearable” the following day.
Nicola, from Ormskirk, added: “I didn’t think I’d dislocated it – you don’t expect it to happen eating a burger.”
“But I tried to eat it with a knife and fork and couldn’t. I couldn’t open my mouth fully.
“It felt like I had cramp in my tongue, then I started to get an ear ache and a headache.
“The next morning I woke up and felt really, really ill. The whole side of my head was hurting.
“Then it started to feel like it was in my jaw and I knew I’d dislocated it.”
“An x-ray at the Royal confirmed the dislocation, and a doctor had to manipulate Nicola’s jaw back into place with his thumbs.
Nicola, who suffers from Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, has hyper-flexible joints, which are more prone to dislocation as a result.”
She said: “The Royal gave me the best dislocation treatment I’ve had. Everyone was really helpful and friendly. If it happens again, I would choose to go back.”
After a second x-ray she was discharged and warned to stifle yawns and avoid opening her jaw too far over the next fortnight.
Clinical director of the Royal’s Emergency Department Kathryn Clark said: “Thankfully, incidents such as this are rare but our staff are very experienced in diagnosing and correcting dislocations.”
She added: “If food is too large, we would recommend cutting it into more manageable chunks, particularly if you have Elhers-danlos Syndrome.”
A spokeswoman for Almost Famous, the Parr Street restaurant where the incident, on August 8, took place, said: “While it’s something that people joke about quite often, this is definitely the first instance of jaw dislocation as a result of an Almost Famous burger we’ve ever heard of!
“We all had a massive cringe at the thought of someone’s jaw being popped back into place, but we’re all really glad Nicola is okay.”
Nicola can now list “eating a burger” as another thing she needs to use caution when doing in the future. Probably not worth the trip to the hospital!
We appreciate your Comments and Likes