Guidelines for Starting a New Support group
Thank you for your interest in forming a new EDS support group. We are here to help you through the process. We can mentor and coach you with ideas and recommendations to get you started. We also have senior support group leaders who can help.
Keys to getting started:
- Find a co-leader to help.
- Decide when, where and how long to meet.
- Promote your meetings.
- Plan how to conduct your initial and future meetings.
- Keep your meetings positive.
- Be a good listener.
- Connect with other support group leaders.
- Look out for potential leaders who can help you.
Here are Tips for Support Group Leaders.
- Prepare an agenda for the meeting.
- Keep your preferred doctors list up to date .
- Ask the group for discussion topics.
- Arrange for a speaker to educate your members.
- Watch one of our educational webinars and discuss.
Try these ideas for support group meetings and activities.
- Organize a picnic or holiday party.
- Plan an EDS Awareness activity in your community.
- Prepare a talk for a local community group, school, TV/radio, etc.
- Participate in an EDS Awareness walk or a local community health fair.
- Write an article about your situation or a group activity. Publish it in a local newspaper or newsletter.
- Create a Facebook site or Blog to share information. Post your social media links on your EDS Awareness web pages.
- Organize and host a local educational program about EDS.
- Please let us know about your activites so we can post them on our www.edsawareness.com site
Contact us for additional ideas, questions and concerns.
Thanks for all that you do for EDSers and EDS Awareness.
John & Deanna